Thursday, June 23, 2011

Task #4 Downloading eBooks

When I was growing up. we didn't have cable. We got a microwave and vcr years after all my friends families had them. Same goes for a video game console (Nintendo). I still bought and listened to cassette tapes well into the cd era. And I've never owned a nice TV or stereo. I held out on a cell phone and iPod for a long time but did finally break down. I'm writing all this not to show that I grew up impoverished but to show that I've never really cared much about new technology. It just doesn't matter much to me and even more importantly, I always have a hard time figuring it out.
SO.
This will be hypothetical, as I have no interest in owning an ereader. I still don't see a reason to spend all that money on something that is, too me, totally unnecessary. Maybe this is a bad attitude to have as a library employee. I am happy to learn about ereaders for my job. I have no problem with that. I'm even interested. And who knows, maybe I'll change my mind and grow to love electro-books.
SO.
The most important thing for me would be price. According to the July 2010 Consumer Reports, the Kindle A1 is the least expensive AND highest rated. It has the most readable type and is fastest at refreshing pages. HOWEVER, I would probably still go with an iPad since it is not just an ereader. It seems it would make sense to buy it since it's a full-on computer, too. Although the price ($500) might keep me away.
It's too bad that the Kindle can't get library books. Weird. So, it appears that if I was downloading a book onto an iPad I would connect the iPad to the computer then select a title and drag it to the ebook icon.

3 comments:

  1. Your cup runneth over with enthusiasm...eth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OverDrive actually has an app just for the ipad, iphone, etc. so you just need to go to the app store on your ipad, download the app and access our ebooks through it--no computer necessary :)

    ReplyDelete